Friday 9 January 2015

Monologue reviews

I wanted to do more research into the monologue that I have picked so far and also continue the search for more monologues that I can use.

"Kirstie - 17, Naive and innocent at first glance, but she has grown up playing the same head games as her mother."
"In the play, a seventeen year old teenager Kirstie get's caught sneaking home after curfew. Her mother, Sarah, has been waiting up with a bottle for company. Sarah's thirty-four, which, if you'll do the math, explains why she's so distraught about Kirstie being out with a boy... Michael. Kirstie's first crush.
Years of bitter conflicts gradually erupt as Sarah and Kirstie finally confront the unspoken issues between them, including Sarah's conviction that becoming a mother at 17 ruined her life. Micheal's arrival after Kirstie has fled in tears only makes things worse; but eventually, as the layers of lies and truths wielded as weapons are stripped away, the core of their relationship is exposed - and can be rebuilt."

I have decided not to do this monologue however as I realised that you would have to read this out in an American accent and my accent isn't too good. I have however continued my research for a better monologue and I have found one that I like that is British.

Play: a day in the death of joe egg
Character: Sheila
Writer: Pether Nichols

This is the first monologue that I have actually connected with, it suits me very well with my personality and actual real experiences so I can put this into my emotion when reading it. It can be take many different ways too, funny, sad, angry, etc. that's one of my favourite things about it. I am going to read the whole play and hopefully still really enjoy it, maybe even more. I am glad I am doing this monologue instead of my previous chosen monologue from past curfew as this one fits me more and that will help when learning it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment